Local Union 692 received its charter from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers on April 1, 1937. The twenty-nine electricians who signed the charter are as follows:
H. Fred Nitschky
E. J. Fortin
By 1942 our membership increased from twenty-nine to one hundred and seventeen and the wage rate had gone from $1.00 to $1.50 per hour. Several members were involved in the war efforts and the membership agreed to a smaller wage increase and to lowering overtime from double time to time and a half for the duration of the war. Wages had continued to grow and had reached $2.85 per hour in 1947.
In 1955 a party was given in honor of charter member Norman Shook, the first member to retire from the Local. By 1957 the wages were increased to $3.61 per hour.
In 1964 a two-year contract was ratified with a fifteen cents per hour raise the first year and an eighteen cents per hour increase the second year. Journeymen were making $4.78 per hour after the second year.
In 1966 Local 692 voted to join the Michigan Electrical Employees' Pension Fund. The contribution rate was $.15 cents per hour.
Local 692 moved into its newly constructed Electrical Trades Building in October of 1969. The membership had grown to over 250 members and the Local found it necessary to build a new facility that contained adequate office space and a meeting hall. Wages were $6.12 per hour for journeymen.
The members approved a two-year contract in 1975 of eighty cents per hour each year and the journeyman hourly rate of pay had reached $11.75 in 1976. The membership of the Local Union had increased to 306 members.
In 1981 Local 1232 in Alpena requested to merge into Local 692. A motion was approved by the membership to accept this merger. Local 692's jurisdiction now encompassed all or parts of nineteen counties in mid and northern Michigan. By 1984 journeymen's pay had reached $17.51 per hour.
Newly elected International President J.J. Barry revitalized the IBEW organizing mission in 1986. Local 692 appointed its first full-time organizer to its staff. Local 692 had to become more aggressive in taking in new members after realizing its membership had remained stagnant at around 350 members.
Local 692 has steadily continued to grow in membership even with retirements and attrition. The membership reached over 400 in 1998 and reached its all time high of over 500 members by the end of the year 2000.
This information came from the book that was published for our local's 50th anniversary in 1987. You can download a scanned copy here.
To learn more about the history of the IBEW click here.